Places of interest Kiev
Khreshchatyk - the main street of Kiev, located near the area where once the Prince Vladimir the Great baptized his family, apparently, hence the name, though according to another version, the street name is derived from Kreschatogo Yar (that is crossed by transverse gullies). Khreshchatyk not too long street - only 1.2 miles, but now the average width is 75 meters, and in some areas up to 100 m Roadway is 24 meters on both sides of the street next to the trees separated by 14-foot sidewalks, and on the left side Downtown stretches along Chestnut Avenue, especially beautiful in spring, during flowering chestnut trees. Khreshchatyk-central railway and business center of the capital of Ukraine. Runs from the European to the Bessarabian area. Passes through Starokievskiy and Caves areas of the city.
Maidan (Independence Square)
The central square of Kiev. Located between Khreschatik, streets Boris Grinchenko, Sophia, M. Zhytomyr, Mykhailivs'ka Kosteln?, Institutska, architect Gorodetsky, and Shevchenko lane. In 1991 the area received its present name in honor of the proclamation of state independence of Ukraine
Kyiv Pechersk Lavra
On the high hills of the right bank of the Dnieper rises majestically crowned with golden domes of the Holy Assumption Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra - the inheritance of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the cradle of monasticism in Russia and the stronghold of the Orthodox faith.
Kiev-Pechersk Lavra began life in 1051 Frequent visitors to the cave monastery are Izyaslav, son of Yaroslav the Wise, Kiev, and know, donating funds for the construction of the temple ground and cells when the caves were too tight for the rapidly growing number of the brethren. The church was established 15 years by Greek architects and painters, and was consecrated in 1089 by Metropolitan John. At various times, been associated with Laura legendary figures such as the chronicler Nestor (author of "The Tale of Bygone Years"), a painter Alypius, Agapit - student Anthony, healer, educator, Peter Grave, which is named in honor of the Academy in Kiev, as well as other prominent personality.
Golden Gate - the main gate of the ancient Kiev. Got its name from its similarity to the Golden Gate of Constantinople. Golden Gate in Kiev - a monument to 12th-century fortification, one of the few that have survived to our time. Construction of the striking grandeur and inaccessibility: over the powerful military tower located Church of the Annunciation - it was very symbolic for a Christian city, as were the main entrance gate to Kiev. Golden Gate was built in 1164, after the defense had completed construction of shafts of the New Town.
Address: 40A, ul.Vladimirskaya.
Open: May to October
Hours: 10:00 - 17:00
St. Andrew's Church - St. Andrew's Descent
Andrew's descent - the second most popular street in Kiev after Downtown. Andrew's descent leads from the street to the Vladimir Tithe and Kontraktova Square, which is located on the Hem. The upper section of the street still existed at the time of Kievan Rus', he connected the Old Kiev and hem, and ran between St. Andrew and the Castle Hill. Street received its name in honor of Andrew. Andrew's descent - it is a street-museum. At every step you can see something interesting on the street reigns bohemian atmosphere of the late 19th - early 20th century. Among the most famous sights of Kiev, located on Andrew Descent is St. Andrew's Church, Park, Richard's Castle, the church. At Andreevskom works a lot of cafes and restaurants with names bohemian and romantic atmosphere: Artkafe, Chateau, Panorama. There is a theater-studio wheel. All this and much more will walk on the granite pavement Andrew's descent a memorable event in the inspection program in Kiev.
St. Sophia's Cathedral
Sophia was built in the 11th century and is located in the center of Kiev. Preserved through the centuries and reached 260 sq. m. meters of mosaics and 3000 square meters. meters of frescoes. Hardly anywhere in Europe you can find many frescoes and mosaics of the 11th century, preserved in a church. Cathedral surrounded by monastic buildings of the 17th century, in the style of Ukrainian Baroque.
The interior of the Cathedral is almost unchanged. In the 18th century iconostasis and appeared in the 19th century - a cast-iron floor tiles. Holy Sophia Cathedral - the source of art, to which historians and tourists come to see and admire this divom Byzantine and Ancient Russian architecture.
Hours: 10:00 - 17:30
Wednesday - 10:00 - 16:30
Address: 24 ul.Vladimirskaya
Built in 1862 - '82. The initial project designed by the architects and I.V.Shtorm P.I.Sparro, later revised its architect O.V.Berettі. In the construction of the Cathedral was attended by architects Yu.Berngardt, K.Ya.Maєvsky, V.M.Nikolaєv. St. Vladimir's Cathedral was built in the so-called Russian-Byzantine psevdostile. Cathedral in the background - the traditional Old Russian shestistolpny triapsidny temple, but crowned with seven towers. Significant artistic value are the internal wall paintings, which are carried out in 1885 - 96 Russian artists V.M.Vasnetsov, MV Nesterov, M.O.Vrubel, Ukrainian - V.D.Zamiraylo, S.P.Kostenko, MK . Pimonenko, Polish - P.O.Svedomsky, V.O.Kotarbinsky, led by Professor A.V.Prahova.
Hours: 9:00 - 18:00.
Address: 20 Boulevard Shevchenko
St. Michael's Monastery
St. Michael's Cathedral was built in 1108 - 1113 years. in St. Michael's Monastery grandson of Yaroslav the Wise, Prince of Kiev Svyatopolk Izyaslavich. Cross-domed church shestistolpny with three naves and a gilded dome. In the beginning. Article 20. Temple - 7-dome. St. Michael's Cathedral was built of stone and brick with cement mortar izveskovo-technology "prevents clutch" using resonators in the axils of the vaults. The walls of the cathedral was decorated mosaics and frescoes. In 1934 - 35 years. Cathedral was dismantled. Some of the frescoes and mosaics preserved. In St. Sophia's Cathedral survived: "The Eucharist", "Stephen and Thaddeus" - fragments of figures of saints; frescoes - scenes from "The Annunciation" and other names of the artists who created the mosaics and frescoes of Michael's Cathedral Zlatoverhnego are unknown. In addition to the mosaics and frescoes have survived two slate slabs end of a century. with the relief of riders. In 1999 the cathedral was rebuilt.
Museum of folk architecture Pirogovo
On the southern outskirts of Kiev, near the village of Pirogov, where the high hills, spectacular views and a pleasant coolness of blue-eyed attract rates of oak forests and groves, the Museum of Folk Architecture and Life of Ukraine. Museum (total area - close to 150 hectares) was established in 1969
Settlement on the territory known to the ancient times s (found objects pores bronze). Pirogovo first mentioned in 1627
More than 300 memorials of national construction XVI-XX centuries were brought here from different regions of Ukraine: Central Pridneprovschiny, Poltava, Slobozhanshchina, Polesie, Podolia, Ukraine and South Carpathians.
The museum remains more than 70,000 objects, works of folk art tools. The most interesting of the exhibits feature the interiors of buildings. Such exposure show the unity of the people's material and spiritual culture. In addition, the museum of folk art festivals are held, in which folklore groups to recreate the old rituals, perform forgotten folk songs. Demonstrate their art and folk artists - at the fair can be purchased for their unique products.
Hours: 10:00-17:00, Wednesday-closed.
The main facade of the Mariinsky Palace, "stares" at the Mariinsky Park, founded in 1874 in landscape design. Alleys of the park - meandering, as if to "fit" into the landscape. On the opposite side of the palace - the City (King's) Garden, founded in 1743 based on the old Regular garden (founded by Peter I). His style - a classic regular: a network of direct avenues that intersect at right angles. The palace complex has a strictly symmetrical composition. The architecture of the palace in the style of Baroque solved: komponovanie expressive volumes, a rich plastic facades.
halls are marble steps.
Important elements of the decoration of the palace are the objects of decorative art, which belong mostly to the second half XІ century, as well as furniture and chandeliers (ancient and modern masters made in the spirit of the XVIII-century XІ), paintings of famous painters. Today, this historic building presents to our country in the world as a state residence. It is called the Presidential Palace. There are solemn state events - awards, receptions, presentation of credentials to the Ambassadors of foreign countries, and the Samiti meeting of official delegations at the highest level.
"Mamaev Sloboda" - free land, which is the guardian of our memory. In the center of Sloboda is a wooden church in the name of the Holy Virgin, like the one which stood on Zaporozky Cechi during Bohdan Khmelnytsky-3inoviya. Interior decoration is striking splendor of the church and at the same time, the comfort. It holds weekly worship services. In the estates' Mamayeva Sloboda "you can try and compare foods noble, bourgeois, peasant and Cossack cuisine. A beverage made of old-world recipes, sure to cheer the soul. Interestingly, all the dishes in which food is served, made by historical patterns, specifically to order, and is unique.
It is reproduced in detail the Cossack settlement of XVII-XVIII centuries, a unique complex that has no analogues in Ukraine! Has 98 sites. Among them, manor centurion Cossack blacksmith, potter, cops and squires, a Jewish shopkeeper, a priest serving Cossack church.
Babiy Yar - a deep ravine between the raw and Kurenyovka known worldwide as a symbol of genocide. Memorial to victims of Nazism was built on the site of mass murder and burial during 1941-43. 100 thousand people of Kiev. Only 29-30 September 1941 the Nazis were executed here 33 thousand Jews. In 1976 a monument to fallen Soviet citizens and prisoners of war in 1991 - a memorable sign "Menorah" in the form of the ritual of the Jewish menorah, in 2001 - a monument to the dead children. Every year, September 29 funeral procession passes.